Phone: (630) 252-5334
Tijana Rajh is a group leader in the Center for Nanoscale Materials at Argonne National Lab. She has extensive experience in the synthesis and study of colloidal semiconductor nanocrystals and their integration into hierarchical assembly. She conducted some of the earliest research on quantum dots, a scientific area that has grown enormously and is of great current interest and impact. Her early studies involved electron transfer reactions and photoelectrochemistry of colloidal semiconductors and quantum dots as well as solar energy conversion into chemical fuels. She has been a staff scientist at the Argonne Chemistry Division since 1996. Her research activities focus on surface modification of nanocrystalline TiO2 nanoparticles for light-induced chemistries such as metal sequestration, deposition of metallic nanoparticles, and their integration with biomolecules. She is currently studying the effect of surface modification on structural, dynamic and redox properties of nanoparticles. She developed methods for seamless electronic integration of chelating ligands and colloidal semiconductors creating hybrid properties between nanoparticles and organic molecules. She also proposed a first method to control and initiate chemical reactions between semiconductor nanoparticles and biomolecules such as DNA strands and antibodies.
- Kim, D. H.; Rozhkova, E. A.; Ulasov, I. V.; Bader, S. D.; Rajh, T.; Lesniak, M. S.; Novosad, V., Biofunctionalized Magnetic-Vortex Microdiscs for Targeted Cancer-Cell Destruction, Nature Materials 9, (2), 165-171 (2010).
- Tepavcevic, S.; Darling, S. B.; Dimitrijevic, N. M.; Rajh, T.; Sibener, S. J., Improved Hybrid Solar Cells via in situ UV Polymerization, Small 2009, 5, (15), 1776-1783.
- Rozhkova, E. A.; Ulasov, I.; Lai, B.; Dimitrijevic, N. M.; Lesniak, M. S.; Rajh, T., A High-Performance Nanobio Photocatalyst for Targeted Brain Cancer Therapy, Nano Lett. 2009, 9, (9), 3337-3342.
- Musumeci, A.; Gosztola, D.; Schiller, T.; Dimitrijevic, N. M.; Mujica, V.; Martin, D.; Rajh, T., SERS of Semiconducting Nanoparticies (TiO2 Hybrid Composites), J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2009, 131, (17), 6040-+.
- Dimitrijevic, N. M.; Rozhkova, E.; Rajh, T., Dynamics of Localized Charges in Dopamine-Modified TiO2 and their Effect on the Formation of Reactive Oxygen Species, J. Am. Chem. Soc 2009, 131, (8), 2893-2899.
- Paunesku, T.; Rajh, T.; Wiederrecht, G.; Maser, J.; Vogt, S.; Stojicevic, N.; Protic, M.; Lai, B.; Oryhon, J.; Thurnauer, M.; Woloschak, G., Biology of TiO2-oligonucleotide nanocomposites, Nature Mater. 2003, 2, (5), 343-346.
- Hurum, D. C.; Agrios, A. G.; Gray, K. A.; Rajh, T.; Thurnauer, M. C., Explaining the enhanced photocatalytic activity of Degussa P25 mixed-phase TiO2 using EPR, J. Phys. Chem. B 2003, 107, (19), 4545-4549.
- Rajh, T.; Chen, L. X.; Lukas, K.; Liu, T.; Thurnauer, M. C.; Tiede, D. M., Surface restructuring of nanoparticles: An efficient route for ligand-metal oxide crosstalk, J. Phys. Chem. B 2002, 106, (41), 10543-10552.
- Rajh, T.; Micic, O. I.; Nozik, A. J., Synthesis and characterization of surface-modified colloidal CdTe qunatum dots, J. Phys. Chem.1993, 97, (46), 11999-12003.
- Nozik, A. J.; Williams, F.; Nenadovic, M. T.; Rajh, T.; Micic, O. I., Size quantization in small semiconductor particles, J. Phys. Chem 1985, 89, (3), 397-399.
- 2006-present, Argonne National Lab, Group Leader, Nano-Bio Interface Group, Center for Nanoscale Materials
- 1996-2007, Argonne National Lab, Chemist, Photosynthesis Group
- 2001-2006, Argonne National Lab, Senior Fellow, University of Chicago/Argonne Consortium for Nanoscience Research
- 2001-2003, Argonne National Lab, Group Leader, Radiation and Photochemistry Group, Chemistry Division
- 1992-1986, BKI, Vinca, Belgrade, Yugoslavia, Chemist, Assistant Chemist, Research Associate
1987, Postdoctoral Appointee, Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Jerusalem, Israel
1986, PhD, Physical Chemistry, University of Belgrade, Belgrade, Yugoslavia
1982, BS, Physical Chemistry, University of Belgrade, Belgrade, Yugoslavia