DANESS (Dynamic Analysis of Nuclear Energy System Strategies)
DANESS, "Dynamic Analysis of Nuclear Energy System Strategies," Version 1.0, is a software code that permits the integrated process modeling of nuclear energy systems for parameter studies, economic analysis, and for variations in the fuel cycle. The software can currently describe 10 nuclear reactor types and 10 fuel types with a cross-flow of fissile material. The reactor and fuel types are stored in a library that can be updated as necessary. The nuclear reactor and fuel type history can be traced as an operating facility to determine the cost of energy generation per reactor and for the total nuclear system. Currently there is no similar software available for determining the economics of various reactor types and fuel cycles.
DANESS has a number of advantages that include customization according to each user's preferences. It is possible to simulate anywhere from one to 10 reactors, in a reactor park, and fuel cycles simultaneously. Modeling of the nuclear fuel permits a cross-flow of fissionable material between various reactors in a continuous fashion. Simulation of the full fuel cycle for each reactor includes time-delays due to facility history, fuel ordering dynamics, nuclear reactor status, and other concerns. Input databases and simulation results are linked to a MS-Excel output for transmittal to other programs.
The software is relatively easy to use with good graphical user interfaces. A manual is available. Currently, the software can run on any PC with a Pentium 4 processor, 1.5Ghz or higher, with 512 MB RAM and 50 MB of hard disk space. A Macintosh PC version has not yet been tested. Run lengths varies depending upon the number of reactors modeled, but most runs are completed within 15 minutes. That is, a 10 reactor with 10 fuel cycles, utilizing a time step of one month, for a total time period of 100 years, will take about 15 minutes. A typical run, once some experience is gained, can be setup in about 30 minutes. The majority of programming, about 95%, is done in Fortran IV with the remaining about 5% being done in C. The software contains an internal clock which can aid the user in estimating run times. The software employs the Ithink (by High Performance Systems at http://www.hps-inc.com) integration software and users of the code may have to purchase this software.
DANESS is not publicly available to all users, and its distribution is limited to users involved in the nuclear reactor industry or utilities, and export controls may apply to some foreign users.click here and the Developer's License is available for the source code, click here.